A Basic Guide on How to Use Vinyl Tiles
- In the Philippines, vinyl tiles have risen to fame in the recent years. More and more homeowners are integrating these affordable yet durable tiles into their homes. Vinyl tiles have a lot of attractive traits that make them an obvious choice for several people.
Are you considering going vinyl as well? If you’re confused on what the fuss is all about, or if you just need a bit more prodding, then you’ve come to the right place! This article will provide you with a basic guide on how to get started with vinyl tiles.
What are vinyl tiles?
Vinyl is dubbed as the second most produced plastic in the world. Multitudes of products are formed from vinyl such as shower curtains, raincoats, appliances, paints, and the vinyl tiles found in the Philippines.
Vinyl is a synthetically manufactured material since it contains amounts of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Vinyl tiles are tremendously popular and they are highly prized by interior designers and architects. They are often used in areas that have a high traffic or areas that expect a lot of wear and tear or rooms that must constantly be kept clean. Unsurprisingly, vinyl tiles have found their way into commercial spaces and even residences.
At home, they are usually in the kitchens and bathrooms. Although other homeowners opt to use these tiles in other rooms as well. Other establishments also benefit from them like medical facilities as well as commercial and retail centers.
Another thing that makes them very appealing is that they come in a vast array of colors and styles. Vinyl tiles can be custom cut in the shapes of your liking and they can be rendered in different shades and finishes.
They can literally be fashioned in any look that you’re aiming for. Do you want them to replicate the appearance of wood or ceramic tiles? Then they can do exactly that. You’ll achieve the porcelain-look you’ve always wanted — but at a much cheaper price tag! It is, needless to say, probably the main reason why a lot of people gravitate towards these tiles.
What are the types of vinyl tiles?
Aside from tiles, there are two other types of vinyl flooring, which are the following
Vinyl plank flooring is made to imitate the appearance of hardwood flooring. With this type of vinyl flooring, you can definitely bestow your home with this naturally beautiful look without the hefty price that normally comes with it.
Vinyl sheet flooring comes in a single roll. They’re usually 6 to 12 feet in width. This is ideal for areas with a high exposure to water such as in the kitchen or in the bathroom.
Aside from vinyl floorings, there are also vinyl tiles. Here are some types of vinyl tiles that are available in the Philippines.
- Solid Vinyl Tiles
Solid vinyl tiles are manufactured by placing vinyl resins into molds of varying shapes and sizes (depending on what you want). This kind of vinyl tile possesses the most natural appearance out of the other types and no two tiles are alike! Each of them showcases random patterns, styles, and colors.
- Printed Vinyl Tiles
Printed tiles are created in layers. There’s the stronger, padded layer at the bottom, the printed layer above it, and one or two layers of protective coating. Vinyl tiles are extremely flexible. As mentioned earlier, any design or pattern can be printed on them. There’s a wide range of hues and textures to choose from.
More luxurious vinyl tiles can mimic the appearance of natural floorings such as stone, marble, or hardwood. If you want to go further, you can also print other images on them such as stones, grass, river, or mosaic.
- Vinyl Composite Tiles
These tiles have swelled in popularity recently. They’re made by mixing vinyl resin with mineral dust filler – and the end product? Immensely hard and durable tiles that are definitely the most resilient option out of the other vinyl options!
The pitfall, however, is that vinyl composite tiles are more prone to becoming brittle, most especially if not installed on a flawlessly smooth floor surface. Even a tiny fragment of dirt can cause these tiles to eventually crack. Like vinyl tiles, these type of vinyl tiles also comes in different colors and patterns.
What are the advantages of vinyl tiles?
There are tons of advantages that come with incorporating vinyl tiles into your home. Here are some of the characteristics that explore why vinyl tiles in the Philippines are a very attractive flooring option.
- Easy to install
This kind of tiling is fairly easy to install. All you have to do is make sure that you’re laying them down on a dry and smooth ground. One way to ensure this is by seeking a professional to install the tiles for you or to ensure that the floor is already optimal for tile installation.
Most vinyl tiles are extremely inexpensive. However, other vinyl types such as the luxury vinyl tiles can be pricier than normal. Nonetheless, they’re still relatively cheap, especially when compared to other kinds of flooring such as natural stone.
The price of vinyl tiles often varies because of the designs and the quality of the material.
Correctly installed vinyl tiles are impervious to water, which makes them a perfect choice for areas that have a high exposure to moisture such as kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
- Feels comfortable
Vinyl tiles feel soft under your feet, unlike wood or ceramic tiles. Some vinyl sheets have an extra padding in them, which makes them even cozier.
Vinyl is well-known for being highly durable. When they’re installed properly and are well-maintained, then they can last you for decades.
Its quality, however, is still largely dependent on the kind of material used and how it is manufactured. There’s also the protective layer on its surface that needs to be taken into consideration.
Vinyl tiles have a protective barrier on top, which makes them resistant to spills and stains.
- Easy to take care of
Vinyl tiles are exceedingly low maintenance. You just have to sweep it regularly to remove the dirt, as well as to constantly wipe it with a damp mop or a vinyl cleaner to get rid of stains and spills.
What are its drawbacks?
Like all other things, even vinyl tiles have disadvantages despite how they are teeming with positive traits.
Here are some things you need to keep in mind if you want to use the vinyl tiles found in Philippine stores.
- The presence of chemicals
The chemicals involved in the manufacturing of vinyl flooring might lead to a toxic outgassing after it’s installed. Meaning, some chemicals might be released into the air which can cause respiratory issues, eye irritation, or asthma response.
- Waste problems
Vinyl flooring, since it’s made of plastic, is not biodegradable. It takes a while for it to break down into the environment. In addition, it’s not usually recycled and they may end up occupying a lot of space in landfills.
- Flawed floors
Vinyl is soft, which means that grains left beneath the flooring will appear as bumps on the surface. For this reason, vinyl tiles need to be installed on a completely leveled floor. It has to be smooth and devoid of any dirt and grit to ensure that it will be mounted seamlessly.
- Chemical stains
Yes, vinyl tiles are often stain-resistant. However, it’s at risk of discoloration when it interacts with rubber. These discolorations can be permanent.
- Prone to yellowing
Vinyl tiles that are lower in quality might turn yellow as it ages. This emerges from a number of factors such as exposure to sunlight, or grit that becomes trapped under the film of wax. Vinyl tiles that are higher in quality, however, rarely encounter this problem.
How do they compare to the most popular flooring option?
An interesting comparison to make is between vinyl tiles and ceramic tiles. In this case, a special kind of vinyl tiles will be taken into consideration — that is, luxury vinyl tiles which are a subtype of printed vinyl tiles.
Luxury vinyl types differ from your standard vinyl in one important aspect — they have the capacity to wholly replicate the appearance of natural materials like wood and stone, which means they can be slightly more expensive than your typical printed vinyl tile.
How, then, does this compare to ceramic tiles?
Well, luxury vinyl types will be indistinguishable from ceramic tiles. In fact, the former offers more appealing attributes than the real thing. Here are some things to look into:
- Style. Ceramic tiles practically last forever. They’re so durable, after all. While this is not really a bad thing, this means that ceramic tiles can’t keep up with the ever-changing design trends, not to mention that they’re expensive and a lot harder to install.
On the other hand, luxury vinyl tiles are cheap, fuss-free to install, and has a vast array of styles to choose from.
- Stability. You already know how enduring ceramic tiles are. However, it doesn’t mean they’re completely immune to breakage. When they’re damaged, they’re quite difficult to repair. Most of the time, the grout will crack and the undamaged tiles will also come apart.
Luxury vinyl tiles, as you might know, are cheaper and easier to install.
Ceramic tiles’ stability can also be their downfall. They’re more prone to cracking because these tiles do not flex or adjust to environmental changes and water content.
On the other hand, luxury vinyl tiles have this flexible quality, allowing it to absorb the force and impact of a fallen object. This means they can also adapt to environmental changes.
- Price. Although ceramic tiles are already considered economical especially when compared to other tiles, luxury vinyl tiles are even more so. They’re cheaper than ceramic tiles even though their qualities are at par, and perhaps, the vinyl tiles’ are even better. Additionally, it’s almost impossible to tell these two tiles apart.
How do you install vinyl tiles?
Here are some of the things you need to keep in mind when installing vinyl tiles.
- Estimate the materials you will be needing. A way to determine this is by measuring the dimensions of the rooms. This will give you an idea of how much you’ll spend. Furthermore, it will help you avoid making mistakes.
- Choose your tiles.
- Prepare your floors for installation. This is very, very crucial. The importance of keeping the surface smooth and dirt-free can never be stressed enough. It can be the difference between tiles that get ruptured after a few months and tiles that will last for decades.
- Find the center of the room where you’ll be installing the tiles. Mark this line with a chalk, dividing the room in half. After that, mark another line that’s perpendicular to the first one. You’ll basically end up with a cross on your floor, with the intersection at the center of the room.
- Lay the tiles on the center of the floor first, using the chalk lines as reference.
- If adhesive leaks between the tiles, make sure to wipe them instantly with sponge or cloth soaked in the appropriate solvent.
- After you have successfully installed rows of tiles, apply pressure on them to make them stick to the floor better.
- Cut the tiles that need to be placed against the walls.
- Ensure that the tiles are untouched for a certain period before you start walking on it.
The Beauty of Going Vinyl
Given all these remarkable qualities and advantages, it’s hardly astonishing how immensely famous vinyl tiles have become in the Philippines.
If you’re thinking of employing these versatile tiles for your home, then we can provide you with the exact products you need!
FC Tiles ensures that you’re given the best vinyl tiles available in the Philippines. We have been providing our customers with high-quality tiles for more than two decades. We’re a company that’s dedicated to delivering results and guaranteeing the satisfaction of our customers.
If you’re interested in checking out our product offerings, then don’t hesitate to contact us today and we’ll help you find the tiles that will perfectly suit your needs.